This week I thought I would start thinking about my learning project finale coming up for my ECMP 355 class. Over the semester I have been able to learn something of my choice and get marks for it- NOT too often does that happen in University!!
Here are just some of the skills I have learned over the semester so far through choosing to become better at cooking:
- How to use a variety of kitchen tools (example: actifry)
- How to make delicious soups (I was afraid of making soups from scratch before!)
- How to find good recipes online and a variety of sources for learning cooking techniques.
- How to make a digital cookbook to save my recipes!
- How to make “how to” videos– haha
- How to budget time in order to make time for cooking (cooking is a great way to relief stress for me.)
So you may be wondering why I have a turkey below….
I have decided I want to host guests and make a turkey dinner for my learning project finale!!
Here is what I think I need to do so far:
- Find a turkey recipe (and also learn how to carve a turkey!)
- Decide what side dishes I want to make
- Shall we have dessert?
- Make a grocery list
- Decide who I want to invite (probably family)
- How will I entertain my guests?
I am not sure what I am missing because I have never hosted people for a big dinner before- any tips for those of you who have would be great!
For this week I am going to start with trying to find a turkey recipe and beginning to plan out how I will set up my turkey dinner. Below are some resources I have been using so far:
- Thanksgiving cheat sheet: A step-by-step guide to planning Thanksgiving: Although I’m not dealing with Thanksgiving here this site laid out some helpful tips in planning a big meal and hosting guests. I’m glad I found this resource because it gives me straight forward information to help me with my planning!
- 25 Dinner Party Do’s and Don’ts for a Host or Hostess: This site has been helpful in understanding some of the do’s and don’ts of planning for a dinner that guests will be attending. I enjoy learning through reading so this resource has been helpful.
- 10 alternative ways to cook a Thanksgiving turkey: Like I said above, it is not Thanksgiving. This site offers me some ideas of how I can cook my turkey other then the traditional roast. I just can’t decide which to do!
- Perfect Roast Turkey: I have also found a traditional roast turkey recipe to use if I wish!
Here’s to hoping my turkey looks like this when I am done with it!
Let me know if you have any ideas for my turkey dinner! Stay tuned for more later.